Our value this term is Resilience.
"Believe you can and you are half way there" Theodore Roosevelt
What is resilience?
The ability to cope even when things get tough.
Resilience is such a valuable life skill because it's key to learn how to get back up and carry on after you face a difficult challenge, whatever this might be. When we're resilient, we're more confident in ourselves and our capabilities.
How can we build resilience?
A doctor called Ken Ginsburg MD developed a model called the 7 Cs of resilience to help children develop the skills to become more resilient.
The 7 Cs of Resilience are as follows:
- Competence - Believing you are competent and capable to handle any situation that life may throw at you.
- Confidence - Facing real-life situations and building confidence over time so that you are capable to handle them.
- Connection - Having a reliable support system around you is really important to help you develop resilience.
- Character - Developing their character such as morals (knowing what is right and wrong) help you to make responsible decisions.
- Contribution -Contributing to your community can be really rewarding and helps you develop connections with people around you.
- Coping - Developing healthy coping strategies will help you to handle stress and adversity better.
- Control - Knowing that you have control over the decisions you make in your life can help you to feel more empowered in your life.
Books about resilience